PRESS: run windows viruses with wine ...

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Thu Jan 27 14:50:36 CST 2005

On Thu, 27 Jan 2005, Mike Hearn wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jan 2005 08:29:08 -0600, Brad DeMorrow wrote:
>> Many also seem to be worried that a virus under wine could do damage to
>> their other partition with windows installed.  I tell them that without
>> an entry in Wine's configuration for that virtual drive - any pure
>> windows application wouldn't even know that such a drive existed.
>
> That's not quite right, some viruses just do a recursive search for all PE
> EXE/DLL files. They will find a real Windows drive eventually if it's
> mounted r/w as drive z: makes the whole system available.

Yes but that's an important point. As you are not running as root, you
may not have write access to the files in that Windows partition. And
thus it would be safe.

Of course this depends on how your system is configured but I know this
is how mine is configured and I don't think it is an unusual setup (but
I don't have hard statistics to back it up so I may be wrong).

                       Computers are like airconditioners
                 They stop working properly if you open WINDOWS