[Fwd: Wine-Wiki.org]

Stefan Munz stefan.munz at itomig.de
Fri Jan 28 04:09:04 CST 2005

Am Donnerstag, 27. Januar 2005 10:30 schrieb Jonathan Ernst:
<big snip>

> > So these 'supported' applications are no different from any other
> > application and the medals mean nothing more than the old rating system.
> > They just have 4 levels instead of 6.
>
> I think having more than 3-4 levels is too much by the way; it's much
> too hard to rate an application in such small quality steps.

maybe it is a good idea to seperate the installation rating from how well the
program runs. I often had problems to install apps that run perfectly if you
get past the installer ;-). just my 2 cents ...

> As for application that could regress from gold to another rating, I
> think that's not a problem as when a maintainer rates an application he
> states what version of Wine he was using (next drop down box after the
> maintainer rating).
>
> I even started to track an history of application ratings for the apps I
> maintain: each time I retest an application I update the application
> rating AND the history table so that someone can figure out that an
> application was working better with an older wine release.
>
> See here for examples:
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=1533&versionId=2230
> http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?appId=2&versionId=764

that's a very good idea and i think the rating system in general should be
linked to a wine version otherwise it's relatively useless. I always read the
comments to figure out wether the (hopefully good ;-) rating of an app maybe
is based on a wine version from 2001.

cu,

Stefan