Slick build output

Jason But jbut at swin.edu.au
Mon Jan 31 18:28:20 CST 2005

On Tue, 1 Feb 2005 04:41 am, Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> Robert Shearman <rob at codeweavers.com> writes:
> > Alexandre Julliard wrote:
> > >It's pretty trivial to write a make wrapper that massages the output
> > >into whatever form you prefer.
> >
> > Unless it's in CVS, only one person will benefit from it. That's not
> > the open-source way.
>
> Feel free to start a project on sourceforge for that. It's clearly not
> Wine specific and doesn't belong in the Wine CVS.
>
> > Ok, this is a problem. Does this mean you won't accept any patches to
> > the makefiles to convert to "slick" build output?
>
> No, I won't. Our makefiles are already complicated enough to not add
> such gratuitous complexity.

In that case I will not bring this up any more after this email.

I note that while the patches are extensive they are merely the addition of
one ECHO line to each rule.

For those who are interested, I attach the patch here (hoping it works this
time) for the completed output cleanup.  I ran

diff -urN wine-20050111 wine-20050111.new > make_patches

where wine-20050111/ is the directory with the current wine sources
and wine-20050111.new/ is the patched directory

All the changes are to the Make*.in files.

Closing off my input now.

Jason.