.wine (was: Re: (long) From the front lines: 20050628 release impressions)

Jules Richardson julesrichardsonuk at yahoo.co.uk
Fri Jul 1 17:30:08 CDT 2005

On Fri, 2005-07-01 at 13:15 +0200, Holly Bostick wrote:
> 2. It *asked me* about things I might want to change-- and didn't make
> assumptions about its own detection!! No, I really don't have a Windows
> drive, so you were right, but I don't want my c_drive in ~/.wine so put
> it somewhere else, thank you very much.

Out of interest (I'm sure it's documented *somewhere*) what is the
reason for the C drive to be under ~/.wine such that it's 'hidden'?

It's always seemed strange given that copying data files to locations
under the C drive seems a reasonable thing for users to do every so
often, yet a lot of graphical file browsing tools won't show dot files /
directories without reconfiguration.

Just seems an odd default to me, although not that big a deal. (I tend
to do most of my work from a shell, so I don't care personally :-)

cheers

Jules