[x11drv] d3d stencil support

Adam D. Moss aspirin at ntlworld.com
Mon Jul 4 12:03:42 CDT 2005

Oliver Stieber wrote:
> The fallback is there because 1 bit stencil is the
> minimum required by the opengl specification, so it is
> possible that somewhere there is a driver that only
> supports 1 bit stencil.

I understood that, I was simply saying that I don't think
there's ever been a consumer graphics card that did only
1-7 bits -- they seem to universally do 0 or 8 bits of
stencil (even the software-renderers), so the fallback is
likely a waste of breath, though I appreciate caution.

Perhaps more to the point, does D3D only guarantee a
1-bit stencil buffer?  A 1-bit stencil buffer (most
especially one without GL_EXT_stencil_wrap) is of very,
very limited use.  I somewhat expect that no D3D applications
(except maybe, just maybe, some very simple test-apps)
will actually operate correctly with a 1-bit unwrapped
stencil.

Cheers,
--adam