Installing Palm Desktop

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Tue Jul 5 16:46:09 CDT 2005

Hi Uwe,
I figured out how to install Palm Desktop, perhaps this might prove
useful to someone:

1. Install native Windows Installer manually. To do this, install dcom98
first. Then run instmsia.exe. The install will complain, but it will
leave behind all the files you need in Windows\Installer\InstMsi0. Copy
all the files in there to Windows\system, and set msi.dll and
msiexec.exe to native.

2. Install Windows Script 5.6. You can download it from here:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=0a8a18f6-249c-4a72-bfcf-fc6af26dc390&DisplayLang=en
Keep in mind that it's the English version though. To install it, set
setupapi to builtin and run the file.

3. Run Palm Desktop setup like normal, and it will install everything
you need.

Of course, running palm desktop is a different story (there is a crash
in WinMM that stops it from running.) I'm currently working on getting
Hotsync to work with my USB cradle using the visor driver, but there's
some problems with that. I'll post a dump of the messages I get and see
if I can make something happen. Thanks for the help :).

James