Palm Desktop and Hotsync with usbserial

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Tue Jul 5 21:30:23 CDT 2005

Hello all,
Many have been following my attempts at getting Palm Desktop and Hotsync
to work. I've tried setting up a COM port that points to the USB device
generated by the visor kernel driver when you hit the button on the
cradle. Unfortunately, there's a problem in GetCommState:

err:comm:GetCommState tcgetattr or ioctl error 'Invalid argument'

I'm not really sure if this is due to my use of the USB stuff, or if
this would happen with a direct serial cradle. But, the good news is
that it's trying to pick something up. My Dad has a serial cradle, but I
don't know if he'd let me borrow it. Anyway, after the sync fails, wine
goes crazy and dumps my registry. I've created a dump of all the output,
but it's over 500K and is too big for the list. Anybody got any ideas on
this stuff? If someone could try exactly what I did and report it, I
would appreciate it. ;-)

Thanks a lot,
James Liggett

P.S. If you do try to run Hotsync, set your win version to nt40 to get
rid of complaints about missing comm drivers.