wine configuration via the registry and such

Ray rayjones at gmx.net
Wed Jul 6 07:57:16 CDT 2005

Hi,

   I'm Ray, and I am a wine addict. ;)

Seeing how a big step is made, I thought I'd drop a line concerning the "new
way" to configure wine.

First off, it's great to have some GUI to setup wine, though the config file was
kind of handy and simple to use. There had to be changes with the winecfg tool
though. But seeing how the configuration now is plainy stuffed into the "normal"
registry, and how the important keys are simply get mixed up with other stuff
makes me wonder if it could be done otherwise. I also wondered why exactly the
registry is used for wine configuration and not a single config file? Winecfg
could store the exactly same settings in the config file, too. Of course, on one
hand to be as much "windows-ish" as possible, the registry seems to be the way,
on the other hand, since wine comes from the linux side, I cannot really see
some argument against ONE SINGLE easy-to-handle config file.