wined3d - d3d9 regression testing

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jul 12 08:11:19 CDT 2005

--- Nick Burns <adger44 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> results of wined3d - d3d9 regression testing on
> windows98se gf4 4200 64MB
> (using wined3d+GLX->WGL patch)
>
> General overview
>   some demos give odd crash on exit
>   resizing windows is hacked (blame me) -- instead
> of stretching the output
> -- it simply changes the vireport size
>   for programs that enumerate display modes the
> screen flashes alot
>   for programs that enumerate display formats it
> takes a LONG time to
> startup
The slowdown is caused by this patch:
http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2005/04/0289.html

I've been working on an improved version that looks up
what the graphics card supports once and generates a
lookup table for later validation which makes the
checks more or less instant, but it's not quite yet
ready yet.

> dx9_texture_mipmapping (same as real d3d9 -- except
> very very slow and the
> filter work differently -- ... hard to explain)

> dx9_spot_light (the spot light does not look the
> same -- in fact the edges
> are sharp not smooth)

lights are different in OpenGL compaired to DirectX

> dx9_texture_addressing (... works on wined3d but not
> my real d3d9)
That's because your card doesn't support texture
borders under DirectX, but OpenGL does.

> dx9_2d_demo_game (extremely SLOW -- animations??
> unsure too slow (like 0.1
> fps))
I've got a fix that gets the frame rate upto around
30fps.
> -------------
> additional tested demos
> fullscreen (cannot find windowed mode?) -- cannot
> press f2 (crashes))
The fullscreen not windowed issue is because 24 bit
colour reports its self as being D3DFMT_A8R8G8B8 in
directx.c instead of D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8.
> MultiDx (same as real d3d9 -- EXCEPT all panes draw
> the teapot on a 1bit
> buffer? -- and there are odd artifacts... hard to
> explain)
> DXCapsViewer (mode 0 -- 640x480xD3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 does
> not show up -- problem
> in mode iteration?)
> DxTex (runs but does not display -- will not run on
> my real d3d9)
> dx9_lost_device (same as real d3d9 -- except says
> texture object failed to
> clean up properly -- problem in texture/resource
> reference counting)
This demo requires _reset, and ref counting in wined3d
is a little different to DirectX. Also the lost device
demo doesn't clean up by the book, the extra
references are ones that the demo hasn't cleaned up
its self
> dx9_multiple_devices (start rendering in one window
> then just green...)
Multiple devices aren't supported yet