wined3d - d3d9 regression testing 7_12_2005

Nick Burns adger44 at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 12 14:47:32 CDT 2005

please forgive the spacing...

...This is just a start at a format for this kinda thing -- pls modify as ya
see fit...
...also more demos wont hurt(well only me)...

results of wined3d - d3d9 regression testing 7_12_2005
--Windows98SE AthlonXP 2100+, 256MB, GF4 4200 64MB 85hz (using
wined3d+GLX->WGL patch)
NOTE: many comments will look the same (maybe small changes) as things are
fixed/break they will be updated (by magic)
NOTE: for all programs that list fps -- they will be listed here -- these #s
are only useful in reference to new numbers from same comp (or for bragging)
      these #s should help determine which patches speed up/slow down what
and by how much
      -- this should be done for all programs in an easily repeatable way
(that cannot foul up)
NOTE: ok I feel stupid... I just remember my GF4 is running at 85hz...
      VSync is on, so all of the 85fps values you see... are >=85 fps
      I should add (wglSwapIntervalEXT(VSYNC);) to my WGL patch -- mayhap I
will if it is desired...
         for now itll stay...albeit not totally useful ...end of stupid
feeling...

New Bugs
  none noticed

Removed Bugs
  some speed/sampling issues seem gone thanks to latest patch

General overview
  some demos give odd crash on exit
  resizing windows is hacked (blame me) -- instead of stretching the output
-- it simply changes the viewport size
  for programs that enumerate display modes the screen flashes alot
  for programs that enumerate display formats it takes a LONG time to
startup
  in fullscreen where you can press f2(to change gfx) -- pressing f2 crashes
it
  there are scissoring problems (in windows98se not xp) with the opengl
windows -- probably not a problem in X

from http://www.codesampler.com/dx9src.htm
  dx9_1pass_emboss_bump_mapping (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_2pass_emboss_bump_mapping (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_alpha_blending_texture (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_multiple_vertex_buffers (same as real d3d9)
--dx9_texture_dot3_blending !!!(???...could not find on site...???)!!!
  dx9_texture_filtering (same as real d3d9 -- this seems to work correctly
now but im unsure)
  dx9_texture_mipmapping (same as real d3d9 -- ITS FAST YEAH -- filters work
differently -- ... hard to explain)
  dx9_texture_subloading (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_tokamak_chain (same as real d3d9 -- and impressive -- best demo of
bunch -- BTW press F1 and have more fun...)
  dx9_transforms (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_vertex_data (same as real d3d9)
--dx9_view_matrix !!!(???...could not find on site (dx8_view_matrix not
dx9_view_matrix)...???)!!!
  dx9_view_ports (same as real d3d9 -- but does not resize)
  dx9_spot_light (differences between opengl lighting and d3d9 lighting)
  dx9_texture (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_texture_addressing (... unsure about what this SHOULD look like -- but
runs fine and does stuff)
  dx9_primitive_types (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_point_light (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_dot3_bump_mapping (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_effect_simple (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_fonts (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_indexed_geometry (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_initialization (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_lighting (same as real d3d9 -- I do not notice any artifacts? maybe an
ATI problem?)
  dx9_material (same as real d3d9 -- synchronized teapots ya cannot beat it)
  dx9_multitexture (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_offscreen_rendering (same as real d3d9)
  dx9_2d_demo_game (extremely SLOW (will wait for patch) -- animations??
unsure too slow (like 0.1 fps))

from http://triplebuffer.devmaster.net/tutorials.php
  BumpMapping (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_03 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_04 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_05 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_06 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_07 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_08 (same as real d3d9)
  tb_dx9_09 (same as real d3d9)
    85 fps 800x600
  tb_dx9_10 (same as real d3d9)
    85 fps 800x600

from
http://www.clootie.ru/delphi/download_dx90.html#Direct3D
  Tut01_CreateDevice (same as real d3d9)
  Tut02_Vertices (same as real d3d9)
  Tut03_Matrices (same as real d3d9)
  Tut04_Lights (same as real d3d9)
  Tut05_Textures (same as real d3d9)
  Tut06_Meshes (same as real d3d9)
  cull (same as real d3d9 -- except slow (180 fps -> 20 fps))
    20fps 800x600 -- 2x better than 10

-------------
additional tested demos
  mview (same as real d3d9 -- except cannot resize/move (crashes) -- and on
windows98se (xp is fine) the top bar buttons and bottom status bar are
covered by opengl gfx -- bad scissoring?)
    >=85fps -- teapot standard window size (no movement)
  2DTestDX9 (same as real d3d9 -- except the 2d does not stretch on window
resize (see top comment))
  text3d (same as real d3d9 -- except for usability issues -- starts in
fullscreen (cannot find windowed mode?) -- cannot press f2 (crashes))
    >=85fps 800x600
  ShadowVolume (same as real d3d9 -- except for usability issues -- starts
in fullscreen (cannot find windowed mode?) -- cannot press f2 (crashes))
    >=85fps 800x600
  MultiDx (same as real d3d9 -- EXCEPT all panes draw the teapot on a 1bit
buffer? -- I noticed fewer odd artifacts)
    (the author of the original MultiDx should be informed of the bug in it
that makes the top left pane the wrong size on init)
  DXCapsViewer (mode 0 -- 640x480xD3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 does not show up --
problem in mode iteration?)
  DxTex (runs but does not display -- will not run on my real d3d9)
  dx9_lost_device (same as real d3d9 -- says texture object failed to clean
up properly -- its own fault?)
  dx9_resize_window (same as real d3d9 -- says texture object failed to
clean up properly -- its own fault?)
  dx9_multiple_devices (start rendering in one window then just green...)
  dx9_swap_chains (both render in one window the other window is black --
this will induce seziure -- BEWARE)
    42fps window

demos that were mean and nasty to me
  water (gets far -- near rendering -- but crashes) (it makes the window
then names it (technique 0) then crashes)