Recent wine and valgrind, possible?

Peter Zelezny peterzelezny at dodo.com.au
Wed Jul 13 01:10:47 CDT 2005

Hi All,

I'm trying to get valgrind and wine working, that is to debug the exe
wine itself is running. So far I've failed, so if anyone has any information
or patches to get this working, I'd appreciate it.

Firstly I applied this patch to Wine-20050628:

	http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2004/09/0067.html
(this applied cleanly, you have to edit one header file to change the
prototype for wine_init(), but this is obvious from the gcc error).

Second, I tried to use valgrind-wine over here:

	http://valgrind.org/downloads/valgrind-20031012-wine.tar.bz2

After encouraging it to use LinuxThreads, I gave up, this is too old and just
won't build on a modern Linux distro.

---
gcc  -Winline -Wall -Wshadow -O -fomit-frame-pointer -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -g -Wno-pointer-sign -I/usr/include/linuxthreads -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2   -o libpthread.so -Werror -fno-omit-frame-pointer -UVG_LIBDIR -shared -fpic -Wl,-version-script ./vg_libpthread.vs -Wl,-z,nodelete,-z,initfirst -Wl,--soname=libpthread.so.0 vg_libpthread.o vg_libpthread_unimp.o
/usr/bin/ld: errno: TLS definition in /lib/libc.so.6 section .tbss mismatches non-TLS reference in vg_libpthread.o
/lib/libc.so.6: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
make[1]: *** [libpthread.so] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/pz/down/valgrind-20031012-wine/coregrind'
---

So I went to a vanilla valgrind 2.4.0.

$ valgrind wine-pthread app.exe
Executable range 0x7bf00000-0x7bf02394 is outside the
acceptable range (nil)-0x52c00000
valgrind: do_exec(/usr/local/bin/wine-pthread) failed: Cannot allocate memory

Thanks in advance for any info.

-Peter.