file locking

Rob Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Wed Jul 13 21:09:03 CDT 2005

Brian Vincent wrote:

>On 13 Jul 2005 17:18:19 +0200, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org> wrote:
>

>>If you want mandatory locking then yes this has to be done at
>>the filesystem level, by setting the proper mount option and
>>permissions. man fcntl should give you the gritty details.
>>

>Right.
>
>What I meant was if I'm on Windows and run Word it will warn me if
>another user already has the file open.  It won't let me open it for
>writing, but I will have the option to open it read only.  On Wine
>it'll just let me open and write to it regardless of what anyone else
>is doing to the file.  Or am I overlooking something?

As much of the file locking as possible is done at the file system
level, but the only filesystem that supports the Windows style locking
semantics is smbfs. The rest we have to emulate in the wineserver. As
the wineserver isn't shared between processes (Alexandre is doing work
towards making this possible and I am doing work on the security side to
make it safe to), the only other alternative is a shared locking server
(as suggested by the Samba team). AFAIK, no one has started implementing
their suggestion.

Rob