[wined3d] basic memory mamagement

Oliver Stieber oliver_stieber at yahoo.co.uk
Thu Jul 14 07:54:35 CDT 2005

--- Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > This patch should hopefully get Half Life 2, Axis
> and
> > Allies and Kohan 2 working.
>
> I can confirm that this patch gets HL2 past the
> login screen,
> and I can actually start the game! Thanks for all of
> your work,
> it is much appreciated.
>
> However, HL2 is still awfully slow, and unplayable.
> It seems like
> it runs at .5 fps or so at the moment. I didn't have
> the patience
> to wait for it to get past the initial G-man
> sequence (which by the way,
> is still not shown, like in Cedega - it's a white
> screen).
>
> I tried turning down the resolution to 640x480, but
> that actually
> seemed to make it worse (different res. from
> desktop).
>
> DirectX is detected at 6.0 by the game (9.0
> hardware), and I think
> it hardcodes the memory to 64MB of video ram (see
> messages).
There are quite a few performance boosting changes to
come, so hopefully Half Life 2 will start to get upto
speed.

> I also left it playing the initial sequence and went
> to sleep .. and now
> I see it has crashed (runtime error dialog box) with
> the following
> messages:

> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section
> 0x325184 "loader.c:
> loader_section" wait timed out in thread 07f5,
> blocked by 07f4, retrying
> (60 sec)
> err:ntdll:RtlpWaitForCriticalSection section
> 0x7c9fe8e0 "DSOUND_mixlock"
> wait timed out in thread 0031, blocked by 0038,
> retrying (60 sec)

"DSOUND_mixlock" is the clue here, I get this error
all the time with sound turned on, I've had a bit of a
look at it and it looks like a thread goes awol
possibly due to a buffer overrun leaving a lock on a
critical section.

The Increadables demo crashes 100% of the time for me
with I'm using alsa for sound.
http://www.download.com/The-Incredibles-demo/3000-7505_4-10334423.html?tag=lst-0-1