Half-Life 2 / Counter-Strike: Source under Wine

James Liggett jrliggett at cox.net
Thu Jul 14 17:05:05 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 17:29 -0400, Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> On Thu, 2005-07-14 at 13:54 -0700, James Liggett wrote:
> > Hi Ivan,
> > Yesterday I read your posts on the list saying that you're able to get
> > HL2 to run with some patches.
>
> The only patch that I'm using outside wine-cvs is here:
> http://www.winehq.org/hypermail/wine-patches/2005/03/0504.html
>
> It's necessary to let you type the Steam password
> and download HL2 over the web (since MSI still doesn't work).
>
> >  That's great--I can't wait to see it
> > actually be playable. :)
>
> You'd have to wait a bit more, currently it's way too slow (I really
> mean this...). I'll post some screenshots on appdb when it
> becomes playable with cvs.
Have you tried setting the heapsize to something a bit larger? Sometimes
that can help.

> You might want to try:
> directxwine.sf.net

I'll see if there's anything new there, update my CVS, and give it a
go... Right now I've got HL2 on my account already; I tried it and it
hangs, but anyway, thanks a lot. I'm sure the wait will be worth it in
the long run.