Wierd multi-file "selection" & mouse drag behavior

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Sat Jul 16 03:15:31 CDT 2005

Hiji schreef:

> On (at least), these last two releases, I select
> multiple-files, and the moment I try to drag, the
> multi-select turns into a one file select.
> Furthermore, the app enters into a state where it
> thinks I am holding the mouse down dragging the one
> file around.  Minimizing and maximizng the app doesn't
> work either; in previous versions, when I couldn't
> drag a file from one window to the other, I'd
> minimize/ maximize the app (which would "reset"
> things), and I could drag files once again.

Just FYI, I've noticed similar behaviour on WinRAR-- if I double-click
to open an archive or folder inside an archive "uncleanly" (meaning the
mouse moves slightly between the first click and the second, although
not off the selection), I get a 'forbidden' cursor (circle with a slash
through it), am unable to do anything, and eventually the action times
out with a message that the drag-and-drop operation I was supposedly
trying to perform was not permitted.

I usually just kill the app and reopen it to try again. I haven't got
round to setting WinRAR to accept single-clicks instead of the default
double-click (which, iirc, is a config option), but that's the
'solution' I would expect to work.

Anyway, WinRAR otherwise works beautifully (without needing tweakage of
any sort), but the mention of a very similar issue on another program
suggests that I should report this (very unusual) problem as possibly
related, in case that helps narrow the issue down.

Holly