Exception Handling with a "bad" ESP

Felix Nawothnig felix.nawothnig at t-online.de
Fri Jul 22 13:29:18 CDT 2005

Glenn Wurster wrote:
> Comments?  Suggestions?

Our current DIB implementation is an ugly hack. We need a real DIB
implementation, either as a complete GDI engine in Wine or as an X11
extension.

Some work has been done on a GDI engine in Wine by Transgaming a couple
of years ago but it wasn't merged. Then, some weeks ago someone
suggested to port the ReactOS GDI engine to Wine.

However, in my opinion implementing a full-fledged GDI engine in Wine
would be rather hackish and sub-optimal for several reasons:

  - It would need a lot of code and a lot of work.
  - The X11 engine is captable enough for most of our purposes (except
    this DIB thingie) so we shouldn't duplicate all that stuff which has
    been stable and working for decades unless it's absolutely necessary.
  - Sometimes using the X11 engine and sometimes our DIB engine for the
    same GDI functions could cause problems for some apps if the
    used algorithms differ slightly (probably more than a Wine/Windows
    discrepancy) - we could use our DIB engine for everything but this
    would eliminate network transparency.

And it would be yet another hack. It would probably work but something
like this should *really* be solved on X side using SHM and a
yet-to-be-written extension IMHO.

Comments? Suggestions? :)

Felix