Exception Handling with a "bad" ESP

Dimi Paun dimi at lattica.com
Fri Jul 22 17:30:16 CDT 2005

From: "Felix Nawothnig" <felix.nawothnig at t-online.de>
> > You can't have it fully on the X side, since you need direct memory
access

> Direct memory access can be done using X11 SHM, no?

But then you lose network transparency.

> > (non-synchronized I might add) to the DIB data.
>
> MSDN says:
>
> Windows NT/2000/XP: You need to guarantee that the GDI subsystem has
> completed any drawing to a bitmap created by CreateDIBSection before you
> draw to the bitmap yourself. Access to the bitmap must be synchronized.
> Do this by calling the GdiFlush function. This applies to any use of the
> pointer to the bitmap bit values, including passing the pointer in calls
> to functions such as SetDIBits.
>
> (and I assume they are talking to application developers, not to Wine
> devs... :)
>
> Or is MSDN lying here?

This may be true for NT/2000/XP but Win 3.x/9x didn't have such a
requirement, and AFAIK, a lot of apps do non-synchronized access.
So they have to support it, and as such, I'm not sure that many
people bother to fix their apps.

We really need a DIB engine in Wine.

--
Dimi Paun <dimi at lattica.com>