Search, and screenshots [Was Re: Half Life 2 error -- err:mmio:MMIO_ParseExtA]

Paul van Schayck polleke at gmail.com
Wed Jun 1 03:04:03 CDT 2005

On 6/1/05, Ivan Gyurdiev <ivg2 at cornell.edu> wrote:

> > The image is also scaled so small that the text in the screenshots is
> > unreadable.
>
> I think it scales it automatically - my original submission was much
> larger (too large in fact, so it's probably a good thing it's scaled).
>
> On the other hand, if you look at the Steam screenshot I submitted,
> you'll see the colors are completely distorted - it was not that way
> to begin with, and must have damaged by the automated scripts.
> I believe the original was a png - I can resubmit if anyone cares,
> but I just wanted to point this out.

Yes, all images are being scaled using the GD library in PHP. The
problem is that the version of the library is old, this will hopefully
change with the server upgrade Newman has planned. As soon as this is
done, you will have great results with the GD library.

The original screenshot can not be accessed. It's protected by
.htaccess magic. The reason we're doing the scaling is preventing
1600x1400 screens of 3MB to appear in our popups. And normally
browsers have a much worse scaling result than the GD library. But in
this case not really.

And yes, when you click the screenshot in the popup, the popup will
close. This is correct behaviour.

Paul