DCOM and Google's Summer of Code

Robert Shearman rob at codeweavers.com
Wed Jun 1 13:30:21 CDT 2005

Ivan Pechorin wrote:

>I'm in trouble trying to estimate effort needed to implement
>marshalling interoperable with MS.
>Is it a right task for 2-2.5 months of Google's "Summer of Code"?
DCOM is a much larger project requiring some degree of infrastructure
work that would be difficult for a person new to the Wine codebase and
new to COM.
So DCOM is probably out of reach, but the underlying protocol, DCE/RPC
is probably right for 2-2.5 months of work. The work will involve
parsing MIDL format strings and marshaling/unmarshaling data correctly
to/from a buffer. The project should be easier for a new, but bright
coder who hasn't yet built up a knowledge of Win32 / POSIX APIs than
many other projects. I could provide a test program that exercises and
certain number of Ndr types and say "make this work". We could vary the
number of types to vary the amount of work.

Rob Shearman