PATCH: Re: Wine does not build (preloader.c, line 863, a_ptr union)

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Thu Jun 2 02:58:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 09:10:10AM +0200, Marcus Meissner wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 02, 2005 at 03:22:01PM +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> >
> > Ivan Gyurdiev wrote:
> > >I hate bothering the -devel list with compile errors, but
> > >they don't seem to get fixed, so I start wondering
> > >if anyone else besides me is using gcc4 at all..
> > >
> > >preloader.c: In function ???is_in_preload_range???:
> > >preloader.c:863: error: ???union <anonymous>??? has no member named
> > >???a_ptr???
> > >preloader.c:864: error: ???union <anonymous>??? has no member named
> > >???a_ptr???
> >
> > This is more likely to be a problem with your headers than with gcc.
>
> No, this is the start of this years approach to break WINE from our friends at glibc.
>
> a_un.a_ptr no longer exists in the elf aux vector struct.
Darn, can't they use a magic keyword or similar mechanisms to mark
elements scheduled for clean removal right before the next major version??
(and not out of sudden within almost the same version number)

OK, some changes in that area might be non-trivial, so they do it when they
feel like doing it, but I really doubt that this is the majority.

But OTOH projects have to do binary incompatible changes a bit before
the release of the next major version, otherwise there won't be any testing.
And perhaps glibc is in such a version change phase right now...

Andreas Mohr