Delete version sniffing logic

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sun Jun 5 14:24:10 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Jun 05, 2005 at 09:03:21PM +0000, Stefan Dösinger wrote:
> > This patch defaults us to Win98 mode.
> Shouldn't we default to WinXP? I know no apps except Win98 specific system
> files like InstMsiA.exe and dcom98.exe which fail with Winver=winxp. Contrary
> many apps need winver=winxp(or win2k or nt40) to work, like the setup
It is easily imaginable that a program does "oh, that's an NT system"
and then calls all sorts of crazy NT APIs that Wine sometimes hasn't even heard of. ;-)

At least that used to be the case some time ago, which is why we largely
defaulted to Win98 operation since our NT layer used to be very weak
(it should be much better already, though).

I don't know specific example programs any more, but there have been several.

Still,
> I think we should at least target Winver=winxp and fix broken apps.
yup, I think we should try to go for that for now, despite some quite system specific
programs overwhelming us in case of an NT version.
If it turns out that it is in fact too much for us to handle soon,
then we should probably scale back to Win98 until our NT API support is strong enough.

Andreas Mohr