Delete version sniffing logic

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Sun Jun 5 15:20:32 CDT 2005

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:24:10 +0200, Andreas Mohr wrote:
> yup, I think we should try to go for that for now, despite some quite system specific
> programs overwhelming us in case of an NT version.

Well, Win98 was a deliberate choice. Just before WineConf we set
the Crossover nightlies to Win2k by default and all our tests immediately
went RED FAIL ;)

Basically, when you set win2k by default, tons and tons of stuff breaks
because apps become a lot more demanding. For now it makes sense to leave
WineHQ at win98 and let CodeWeavers take the brunt of the pain. In fact it
looks like we may not be able to get the whole thing running in win2k mode
by default for Crossover Office 5, we'll see.

Once we succesfully make the transition a ton of bugs and new functions
will already have been implemented, and maybe it'll make sense to go win2k
by default in regular Wine there too.

Of course AJ may decide that the only way to get the bugs fixed is to
change the default right away :)