ViaVoice (98) in Wine

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Mon Jun 6 01:49:50 CDT 2005

Hi all,

over the weekend I tried to get ViaVoice (98) running in Wine (20050524). The
installation goes smooth - even the embedded videos how to handle the
microsfone, etc. are displayed ,-)

However after the installation some "audio setup" tool is run to adjust the
mixer level and maybe more like capture channel. This tools does just print
an error that it can not find "mixer elements / devices" (translation from
the german text I had on screen).

I tried a few install and wine config variations, including switching from OSS
to ALSA - however without success.

I then tried to copy my trained profile from a real Windows box in order to
skip this audio setup stuff. However the real applications then also complain
about no mixer found. Capturing from my mic with some "proof of concept" and
tiny audio recorder as shipped with ViaVoice (snwave.exe IIRC) did work.

Injecting all the windows partition content into the wine folder did also not
help.

Are there some holes in some kind of mixer interface implementation? Is there
some kind of tracing I can enable in order to take a look what kind of call
did fail?

Any help appreciated.

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org