Delete version sniffing logic

peter at piments.com peter at piments.com
Sun Jun 5 15:37:37 CDT 2005

On Sun, 05 Jun 2005 21:24:10 +0200, Andreas Mohr
<andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de> wrote:

> Still,
>> I think we should at least target Winver=winxp and fix broken apps.
> yup, I think we should try to go for that for now, despite some quite
> system specific
> programs overwhelming us in case of an NT version.
> If it turns out that it is in fact too much for us to handle soon,
> then we should probably scale back to Win98 until our NT API support is
> strong enough.
>
> Andreas Mohr

Quite agree. No sense in wine trying run before it can walk.

When there are still issues with modal dlgs coming up hidden behind other
windows and so many unresolved issues it does not seem to make sense to
open a whole new can of worms.

There have also beem many regressions in wine over the last 6 to 9 mths
that are still having fall-out.

It is close to reaching critical mass as win98 emulation and is coming
together nicely. It makes sense for it to default to a reasonably working
winver .

If a prog requires specifically xp and wont work on 98 then there is a
strong likelyhood that it is calling for features that are a long way from
being supported anyway.

Sniffing aside , winver=win98 makes more sense to me.

Regards.

--
Using Opera e-mail on Gentoo Linux