ViaVoice (98) in Wine

René Rebe rene at exactcode.de
Tue Jun 7 03:53:39 CDT 2005

Hi,

On Tuesday 07 June 2005 02:37, you wrote:

> >No problem - a log with my normal setup, and one without the module for
> > the 10 channel card loaded attached (I wanted to see for myself if that
> > makes a significant difference in the behaviour of Wine).
> >
> >Yours,
>
> OSS thinks your sound card doesn't support volume control on the input.
> Not much you can do about that.  I assume this is OSS on ALSA?  Then it's
> an ALSA OSS emulation issue (assuming the card really does support it).
> The peak meter issue is not a problem because most drivers don't support
> it.
>
> Does the software really refuse to work because of no record volume
> control? That shouldn't be a fatal error.

Maybe - since ViaVoice is quite agressive to tweak the microphone gain ...

Have you seen the invalid handle in the log?

trace:msacm:acmDriverDetailsA ((nil), 0x504840, 00000000)
trace:msacm:acmDriverDetailsW ((nil), 0x77a7eebc, 00000000)
trace:msacm:acmDriverOpen (0x77a7e3e4, (nil), 00000000)
warn:msacm:acmDriverOpen invalid handle
trace:msacm:acmDriverOpen (0x504c94, (nil), 00000000)
warn:msacm:acmDriverOpen invalid handle

Maybe via voice fails due to that ... at least it matches what I found in the
speech engines log (oh - I mistyped the wine list address of the mail
containing this information, yesterday - resent it now):

AudMME: Set Audio Input --------------------------------- [Jun 06 12:29:1
2005]
    Using record device # 0 which is a Analog Devices AD1980
    AUDMME will use device # 0 for recording
    AUDMME will use device # 0 for playback
    PCM Device               WAV Audio Adapter
       Default Record Device WAV Audio
     Default Playback Device WAV Audio Adapter
    acmDriverDetails failed, rc = 5
    acmDriverOpen failed, rc = 5
    acmDriverDetails failed, rc = 5
    acmDriverOpen failed, rc = 5
    Alphabet/Language/Codepage: R Gr_GR 850

a returncode of 5 seems to be:

#define MMSYSERR_INVALHANDLE  (MMSYSERR_BASE + 5)

Yours,

--
René Rebe - Rubensstr. 64 - 12157 Berlin (Europe / Germany)
            http://www.exactcode.de | http://www.t2-project.org