Debugger under Solaris

Alexandre Julliard julliard at
Sun Jun 12 03:47:23 CDT 2005

Robert Lunnon <bobl at> writes:

> I need some help to implement the debugger under Solaris. In particular I need
> help with how ptrace interacts with the threading model under Linux which I
> understand uses processes for threads. Since Solaris has user mode threads,
> stopping a pid stops all the threads in the debugee which used to deadlock
> the debugger. This suggests I need to operate on threads within processes
> rather than the processes themselves. This is possible with a few IPC tricks,
> but I need to understand the semantics

Stopping the whole process with ptrace is not a problem, that's how
Linux NPTL behaves too. What you really need is the ability to change
registers and send signals to a specific thread, which requires the
kernel to at least know something about the individual threads.

Alexandre Julliard
julliard at