Alsa initialization change

Kevin Koltzau kevin at plop.org
Wed Jun 15 21:48:21 CDT 2005

On Wednesday 15 June 2005 10:10 pm, Jeremy White wrote:
> The rc of -16 is EBUSY.
>
> To be honest, I find it odd that you're getting
> a success while the sound card is in use; in
> my testing, any attempt to open a pcm that is
> in use generates a -16 return code, whether it
> be default:0 or plughw:0 or hw:0.  The current
> Wine code should fail in that case.

The sound card is in use by the dmix/dsnoop plugin.
my "default" device is actually a chain of plugins, a striped down
version of my .asoundrc is (let me know if you want my full config)
pcm.output  {
    type dmix
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}
pcm.input {
    type dsnoop
    slave.pcm "hw:0,0"
}
pcm.duplex {
    type asym
    playback.pcm "output"
    capture.pcm "input"
}
pcm.!default {
    type plug
    slave.pcm "duplex"
}
ctl.!default {
    type hw
    card 0
}

so default goes through asym, which joins dsnoop and dmix, which
then actually access my hardware.

This is a pretty common config for cards that do not support hardware
mixing, IMO.

> I'm going to send you a quick test program off list,
> if you don't mind trying an experiment for me, that
> would be great.

Send away