hello world

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Thu Jun 16 14:13:48 CDT 2005

On Thu, 2005-06-16 at 17:04 +0000, cdr wrote:
> Dimi Paun wrote:
>
>  > That's fine it's supposed to do so. But it's also supposed to
>  > create a 'type' executable too (a batch file really).
>
> This is where I was (obviously) confused, all I can say
> in my defence is that Winelib User's Guide in "Getting started"
> implies that:
>
> (...
>   You are done! Now you can start the application as ./notepad2
> ...)
>
> And there is no mention of script that runs ...so - so I was
> expecting self-contained Linux binary.
>
>  > That's all fine. You should get type.exe.so (correct, we need that)
>  > and a type executable that basically does
>  >
>  > wine type.exe.so
>  >

> I take it that means all winelib-ported apps are NOT true linux
> binaries - but some half-breed between win32 binaries and Linux
> binaries? What is then the advantage of porting (using winelib)
> as opposed to running win32 binaries under wine?
>
> Thank you very much for your help.
>
> cedar

Hmm, once I finish tackling the User's guide (Brian just sent me the
work he did on the Winecfg section that still needs to be polished), it
might be a very good idea to nearly rewrite the Winelib guide,
particularly the intro.  Is anyone else working on this at the moment,
or is it basically an open task?

I think I'll add it to my wiki page amongst the list of other general
usability tasks I have lined up.  I hope I get to them this summer ;)

Thanks,
Scott Ritchie