WinelibVersion() [was: bit-blit ops]

Mike Hearn mh at codeweavers.com
Fri Jun 17 10:57:17 CDT 2005

On Fri, 17 Jun 2005 11:19:27 -0400, Dimi Paun wrote:
> We don't support such a thing officially because it will hurt the project:
> it's always easier to work around stuff rather then fix it properly. And
> the result will most likely be crippled and people will hate it.

That's one side of the coin, the other is that perfect is the enemy of the
good. We already lost/pissed off one project, the VST Wine plugin stuff,
because we released new versions that broke their software and they
couldn't even programmatically check to give nicer warnings.

Realistically, not everybody can fix Wine even if they wanted to. Once you
get into the swing of it, it's easy to forget what the learning curve is
like. In this case I think a wine_version symbol really would be useful
and wouldn't hurt the project much at all.

thanks -mike