Documenting debug messages (was: wine/dlls/x11drv x11drv_main.c x11drv.h palette.c)

Dustin Navea speeddymon at gmail.com
Sun Jun 19 11:06:14 CDT 2005

You are right, it is completely different, but I was just stating that I
think it might be something to consider, just so that we non-developers
have some clue about what different errors mean..  I, for one, would
like to know what the error message in my original reply means.  And
having some sort of documentation on that exact error message would save
everyone some time from having to close reports that are already known,
as well as the advantage of not having to answer questions about that.
Basically answer the question once for me, and then people can just
search (using their browsers' find function) for that exact error on
whatever page it gets put on, whether wiki or my own personal site.

Perhaps, though, instead of asking people who contribute code and add an
err to update the documentation, we should setup a script that will
track cvs commit emails (and the attached patch) and just ask alexandre
to explain what would cause the fixme/err/warn/etc that is in that patch
(in the commit email of course)..

I could probably rent a shell to run it, and have the script either
update the doc itself, or have it email the explanation to me, and then
update the pages myself whenever I have a chance...

The first thing though would be to get the current debug messages
documented somewhere, then worry about updating it.

Of course, if I do go ahead and document it, I would leave the removed
messages in there with a note saying "this has been removed as of
(date), please update to the latest release, or latest CVS if there
hasn't been a release since this was committed"..

Of course if I dont have any support, then there's no sense in doing it,
so I would only do this with the blessing of the other developers.

Dustin