Using ReactOS Registry format

Martin Fuchs fuchs.martin at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 10:57:58 CDT 2005

Hi James,

> Last night Martin Fuchs suggested that we look into using ReactOS's
> registry format in order to be compatible with Windows registry
> databases. I have the latest release of ReactOS running on QEMU on my
> box, so I checked it out. Basically, they're using the same regedit
> program from Wine, missing find command and all (Which I too feel is a
> pain in the neck).

A bunch of dlls and applications are synced between Wine and ROS from
time to time, also including regedit. What about implemting the
missing find functionality at your own to bring both projects a little
foreward?  ;-)

> I looked at the config stuff, and I found what looked
> like some binary database files for each of the main registry sections.
> Unfortunately, there's no documentation at all on any of this on their
> website.

I can forward you a mail from Steven Edwards to bring a bit light into
this issue:

S> I think ReactOS's registry is binary compatible with NT4. It and
the windows 2000 format was
S> documented/reversed for samba and the linux ntchpwd bootdisk
projects. If I remeber right Eric
S> Kohl offered to release some of his work to Wine for the binary
format so you might want to ping
S> him about the implementation details.

So Eric Kohl would be the right man to ask about the internals of NT's
registry format.

> If we decide to go this route, we may be in for a hell of a lot
> of work. But, I do agree with all of your points. I think the current
> system could use some improvement, especially in the area of searching.
> Let me know what you think of all this.

Regards,

   Martin