winefile: switch to UNICODE mode

Martin Fuchs fuchs.martin at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 14:11:34 CDT 2005

22 Jun 2005 10:56:18 +0200, Alexandre Julliard <julliard at winehq.org>:
> "Ralf Reiterer" <ralfreit at gmx.at> writes:
>
> > So I really think Wine has to support the TCHAR type and all
> > associated functions/macros to stay as close to the Windows
> > API as possible.
>
> Wine obviously supports TCHAR, that doesn't mean you want to use it in
> new code. We have 16-bit support too but nobody advocates writing new
> 16-bit applications.

Winefile is not really "new code", it started back in the year 2000.
And as I pointed out yesterday, Wine's support for TCHAR is currently
incomplete.

> > And since it helps to avoid #ifdefs in application source, I
> > think that's a strong argument not to eliminate it from
> > Winelib (includes). Maybe these arguments help to convince
> > you, Alexandre. ;-)
>
> It doesn't help avoiding #ifdefs, on the contrary it requires a lot
> more #ifdefs, and makes the code a lot more fragile.

More #ifdefs compared to an application without UNICODE/ANSI support
or using unicows. Yes. But unicows is also only a bad option.

> It's a nasty hack that should be left to die a (hopefully painful) death.

It will not die before MS will drop backward compatibility. And this
may take centuries, if ever.

Regards,

   Martin