Follow up to Google's Summer of Code

Jeremy White jwhite at codeweavers.com
Tue Jun 28 09:25:48 CDT 2005

Hi folks,

As I'm sure you all know, Google has now accepted 6 students
to work on projects for Wine.

Alexandre, Dan Kegel, Lionel Ulmer, Dimi O'Paun and I worked on
the Wine committee that reviewed the applications, and we were all
impressed by the depth and quality of the applications, and we're
excited to have 6 fresh new workers on Wine.

We're working right now on connecting these 6
students with their mentors; we hope to
announce more details once we've made those
connections.

To be honest, we're running a bit behind here;
I think Google jumped into this without being as
prepared as you might otherwise hope, and there
have been challenges in figuring this all out.
(We're still largely clueless about the responsibilities
of mentors from Googles perspective, for example).

So, thanks to everyone that submitted a proposal.

I'd particularly like to thank those people that
submitted a great proposal and were not accepted.

To be quite honest, we were disappointed that Google only
selected 6 applicants; we put forward 18 different
applications that we thought were all worthy of funding.

So, thanks again to everyone, and most of all,
thanks to Google for spurring Wine development!

Cheers,

Jeremy