World of Warcraft - crash in game

Alex Woods wine-devel at giblets.org
Wed Mar 2 14:00:36 CST 2005

On Wed, Mar 02, 2005 at 06:52:36PM +0100, Paul van Schayck wrote:
> Hey,
>
> On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 16:43:11 +0000, Alex Woods <wine-devel at giblets.org> wrote:
> > Whilst playing around trying to get some kind of lead, the sound cut out
> > on me whilst playing the game.  I decided to keep going, and the game
> > played for a surprisingly long time.  The next day I booted the game
> > with wine's sound drivers disabled and played for about 10 hours total
> > without a crash (for purely stress-test reasons you understand ;)).
> > I've had a chance to give it a go with the wineoss.drv.so now and that
> > also seems stable, so I guess the problem is in winealsa.drv.so which I
> > had been using.
>
> I can confirm that. I only managed to get sound working to an
> acceptable rate (ticking, and stutters) with winealsa, no dmix/asym (I
> use that for my no harware mixing soundcard) and dsound hardware
> emulation.
> I will get a lot of these:
> fixme:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne problem with underrun detection
> (mixlen=32768 < primary_done=40572)
> err:dsound:DSOUND_MixOne underrun on sound buffer 0x404071d8

I get a lot of these too, with both winealsa and wineoss, but the rate
seems very acceptable to me with not many ticks and stutters.  I think
also it got better in the last few days, and I notice that a few dsound
changes were made, but I might be imagining things.  I assume the dsound
stuff is cpu bound.

> Without dsound hardware emulation (so plain ALSA) I will get
> stuttering sound. And with wineoss (so, alsa oss emulation) I will not
> get any sound at all.

I just use whatever wine defaults to in that respect.  I have a minimal
config file:

WINE REGISTRY Version 2
[version]
"windows"="winxp"
[WinMM]
"Drivers"="wineoss.drv"
[x11drv]
"DXGrab"="Y"

Sound works about the same under both alsa and oss (again alsa oss
emulation).  It's strange that you get no sound from oss.  The only
visible difference between the drivers from a user level for me is that
alsa makes the game unstable whereas oss does not.

> This is with a 2.6.9 kernel and alsa-driver 1.0.8.

Similar here, alsa driver is whatever version 2.6.9 comes with, but the
libraries are 1.0.7.

--
Alex