MultiByteToWideCharacter problem with CP 950 (Traditional Chinese)

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Sat Mar 5 15:51:32 CST 2005

Hi,

On Sun, Mar 06, 2005 at 04:49:13AM +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
> 1st problem: (pre-existing)
No comments.

> 2nd problem: (regression)
>
> There's another serious problem, which is a regression.  Starting Office
> 2000 (any language)with the Big5 code page as below, causes serious
> trouble with my X server (X.org 6.7.0).  The X cpu usage goes to 95%,
> and the install hangs, more or less.
>
> LC_ALL=zh_TW.Big5 wine m:\setup
>
> The problem happens whether or not the Chinese truetype font is installed.
This probably is the same issue that has prevented success for any attempt
to use some relatively recent Wine versions on the notebook of my girlfriend
(P3/450, Debian, Chinese simplified, non-Unicode setup: GB2312, XF86 4.3.x):
whenever I started Wine, everything slowed to a crawl and I had veritable
trouble trying to kill it (definitely points towards XF86 overload).

I could offer to do some tests if need be.
Haven't tried the new "non-official" Debian Wine packages, BTW.

Andreas Mohr