Let's fix Steam!

Stefan Dösinger stefandoesinger at gmx.at
Tue Mar 8 13:33:25 CST 2005

Am Dienstag, 8. März 2005 12:41 schrieb Scott Ritchie:
> Steam has had a serious problem for quite some time, failing with a
> strange debug assertion error popup at the dreaded 27% mark.
>
> What's interesting, however, is that Steam works perfectly in Crossover
> 4.1 - since I don't think Steam is supported, this is not due to a
> special hack, and the failure in Steam therefore represents a serious
> regression in Wine.
>
> This, quite simply, will be a really cool app to get working again.
> Plus, we'll need it to try out Half Life 2 once you awesome Direct3D
> boys finish up your work :)
>
> So, where do we go about this?  The installer demonstrating the error
> can be downloaded easily from http://www.steampowered.com/ - however,
> I'm not sure if it's plausible to run a regression analysis since there
> are no patches available against the direct crossover version of Wine.
> At this point, I'm not even sure which file has broken, although I do
> know that it's one we've had problems with in the past based off of IRC
> conversations.
>
> If anyone could follow up with more info, particularly about the
> specifics of the error, I'm sure we'd all appreciate it greatly.
Well, another update on Steam:

Steam runns indeed nice with wine. I don't know why it works all over the
sudden, but it works ;-)

These are the problems I found:

*Microsoft Internet explorer needed: I didn't get the builtin shdocvw working.
The automatical download of the Mozilla active X control didn't work. I
downloaded it manually and installed it but it still didn't work

Can someone give me a hint how I make the builtin shdocvw work?

*No keyboard without Desktop mode. It seems like wine doesn't pass the Steam
Windows to the Window Manager(KDE / KWM in my case). To make the keyboard
working I have to use the Desktop mode. Managed = N doesn't work.

*I can't move the Window in Managed mode. With Desktop and Managed = N it
works.

*Steam sometimes causes crashes if I cancel it with Strg+C.

I didn't try to play any game because of the download limit problem mentioned
in my previous mail. I'll report tomorrow on this.

Cheers,
Stefan