Wine in the press

Troy Rollo wine at troy.rollo.name
Tue Mar 8 15:31:57 CST 2005

On Wed, 9 Mar 2005 04:20, Kenneth Porter wrote:
> This aspect should be pushed more to Windows developers. "Real" Windows is
> a black box API, and WINE gives great visibility into what's really
> happening under the covers. Debugging under WINE can reveal info and
> insight not available under real Windows.

I do this all the time. In fact I have a custom modified GDB (and Insight)
that can read both Borland debug symbols. Being able to trace things through
the WINE API often reveals things about the Windows API that you would be
unlikely to figure out with real Windows. There's one hell of a lot of
knowledge accumulated in the WINE code about aspects of Windows that are
either not documented at all or are poorly documented.

I often come across behaviour in WINE and think "that's gotta be a bug" based
on the API docs, only to write test programs to see what happens under
Windows and find Windows exhibits the same behaviour.