Menu protocol.

Scott Ritchie scott at open-vote.org
Tue Mar 8 21:59:46 CST 2005

On Tue, 2005-03-08 at 21:02 +0000, Mike Hearn wrote:
> On Mon, 07 Mar 2005 14:36:03 -0800, George Farris wrote:
> > Whats the protocol as far as adding a top level menu under Applications?
> > I want to port a number of Ham radio apps over and put them in their own
> > menu called.. wait for it.. Amateur Radio.
> >
> > Would this be frowned upon?  The apps would be coming from universe.
>
> I think it'd be better to formalise a new category as an extension to the
> FDO .desktop spec, then adjust the upstream menu XML definition, assuming
> there is one (they always look the same on GNOME based distros so I expect
> there is).
>
> That way it's not Ubuntu specific.
>
> thanks -mike

On this matter, do we want to create a Wine top-level entry in the
Applications menu?  We can start it as an Ubuntu-specific extension,
include the appropriate .desktop files in the Ubuntu package (I'll write
them myself), and then just send changes upstream?

I envision the following process for a user after installing the Wine
package: a new Wine menu entry will appear under Applications, and
within that will be a Program Files subfolder with installed Windows
apps and the included apps (like our notepad).  Adjacent Program Files
will be the GUI configuration tools - winecfg, the uninstaller, etc.

Stuff could also be installed here that isn't Wine explicitly, like the
Winetools package.

Thoughts?

-Scott Ritchie