add version info to the reg

Andreas Mohr andi at rhlx01.fht-esslingen.de
Fri Mar 11 04:01:22 CST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, Mar 10, 2005 at 09:26:12PM -0500, Vincent Béron wrote:
> Le jeu 10/03/2005 à 17:50, Ivan Leo Puoti a écrit :
> > lamest patch I've ever sent, but it wasn't my idea.
> >
> > ChangeLog:
> > Add hardcoded version info to the registry.

[...]

> This doesn't look like the right place to put it, especially since Wine
> can be set to something else than Win2k.
I'm also getting headaches if someone's talking about hardcoding it...

> That doesn't mean I know where to put it...
IMHO this should definitely be done somewhere in the Windows version code,
i.e. dlls/ntdll/version.c
Once that code initially has figured out which Windows version it's going
to announce in the future, it should set these registry keys to a proper value.

Or, if the registry has a mechanism for "temporary" keys, set the key
on a dynamic (per-access?) basis in order to handle dynamic version detection
properly. But I'm quite sure this isn't possible.

Another issue is when to set these registry keys. We most likely don't want
them to be available after the first GetVersion() call only, so we might need
to do that on Wine startup.
(or maybe this validates the current patch, since that would make sure we do
have initial version registry, which could then be further adapted by the
version detection mechanism)

Andreas Mohr