wine/ misc/registry.c documentation/samples/config

Mike Hearn mike at navi.cx
Sat Mar 12 12:51:04 CST 2005

On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 10:35:36 -0800, Steven Edwards wrote:
> I have to agree. Short term being able to load the Windows registry and Windows
> system dlls helped Wine but long term it has led to stagnation. Most of the
> recent growth in Wine in past few years has been because we are being forced to
> not be dependant on a existing Windows install or Windows componates such as DCOM
> IE, MSI, etc which is a good thing.

I'd have to disagree. I am not really convinced this sort of encouragement
works:

- We have no config file, yet this has apparently not accelerated the pace
  of winecfg development, we just have more confused users

- Systray patch is being kept out of CVS until it's perfect, but nobody
  except me has hacked on it for years.

There are other examples.

Citing stuff like DCOM is misleading, that isn't the sort of thing
somebody does to scratch an itch. It's been (and still is) a huge project.
It's also somewhat orthogonal to being able to use a real Windows drive.

thanks -mike