Wine Start Menu in the Desktop Applications Menu

Jeff Waugh jeff.waugh at
Sat Mar 12 21:52:31 CST 2005

<quote who="Scott Ritchie">

> 1) Create a new Menu entry in the .menu file
> at /usr/share/gnome-app-install/

/etc/xdg/menus/, rather.

> This one will be named "Windows Applications" and will need to point to
> two locations for .desktop files: system-wide ones, and user-specific
> ones.  Instructions for how to do this are here:

"Windows Applications" is really too long -> it's already in the apps menu,
so it may as well just be "Windows".

> 2) Create some Wine .desktop files that can go in /usr/share/applications
> that will be readable by this menu entry.

These should only be installed by the Wine package. See the "Debian" menu as
configured in Ubuntu, and the menu-xdg package for an example of how to do
parts (1) and (2).

> 3.) The menu specification can also point to a new location in the local
> user's .wine directory, probably something like ~/.wine/menu.

The standard location is ~/.local/share/applications/ -> Wine should use

> What will then tell Gnome to update the applications menu (since new
> .desktop files will have been created) I'm not sure yet.

The panel monitors that directory for changes, and updates itself.

> The PowerPC version of the packages, however, is another issue.
> Obviously, we can't make Wine work with i386-compiled apps on PPC,

(There's an awesome opportunity for qemu integration there...)

- Jeff

UbuntuDownUnder: April 25th-30th
    "I'm just mucking round down the shallow end of the literary pool, I
                          suppose." - Mick Molloy