STI, device drivers and stuff

Damjan Jovanovic dj015 at yahoo.com
Mon Mar 14 05:41:40 CST 2005

Hi

I've started working on implementing STI functionality
in Wine. STI is a Windows 98/2000 "Still Image"
capture system, and I'm doing it to get my scanner
working in Linux.

I have a few questions:

1. Do you support/accept/like C++ code in Wine? COM is
bad enough in C++, I would rather not do it in C.

2. STI has kernel mode components to deal USB / SCSI /
serial / parallel ports. Is there any attempt to bring
kernel mode support into Wine (ReactOS/Wine merger?)
any time soon? If not, should I implement USB support
using libusb in user-space?

3. Either way, changes need to be made to
CreateFile(), CloseHandle(), DeviceIoControl(),
ReadFile() and WriteFile() to accomodate this. What's
the best way to do this? Do I need to change the Wine
server, or just Wine's KERNEL32.DLL and/or NT*.DLL
equivalents?

4. Anyone wanna help out?

Bye
Damjan