Are mailslots implemented?

Kuba Ober kuba at mareimbrium.org
Mon Mar 14 12:15:03 CST 2005

> |>The browse (Network Neighborhood) service uses them. Other then that,
> |>I have not seen any uses of it.
> |
> | Protel 98 (likely higher versions too) uses them.
> |
> | MSDN says that the datagrams are limited to 424 bytes in length, so
>
> even if
>
> | they are not very useful otherwise, getting Protel running on wine
>
> seems a
>
> | worthy goal to me. I'll try hacking on it and seeing where I end up.
>
> See http://www.ubiqx.org/cifs/Browsing.html#BRO.3 for more information

> libsmbclient from Samba 3 does not support it at the moment

What do the "match_mailslot_name" and "cli_send_mailslot" functions do, then?

Anyway, if the wire protocol is simple enough, and so it seems from ubiqx.org
article, then I can just synthesize all the relevant layers to send the
multicast UDP. The only piece of info that I'll (hopefully) need from wine is
the netbios node name.

For reception, I'll bind UDP port 138 (netbios-dgm) if it's not already bound,
to receive the mailslots coming in.

Now, if a samba server is already running on given host, which is reasonable
if the person running wine wants to share something with other windows hosts,
is it possible to somehow poll the nmbd and/or smbd to get the mailslot
datagrams that weren't "consumed" by the browsing protocols?

Does that make sense? Any more hints?

Cheers,
Kuba