World Of Warcraft

Holly Bostick motub at planet.nl
Tue Mar 15 03:47:23 CST 2005

Noticed this thread on the Rage3D Linux (ATI) Drivers forums:

Fix for WoW in OpenGL mode in wine/cedega (
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33807135 ).

Basically, it seems to involve hex-editing WoW.exe (!!!) to filter out a
couple of extensions (mainly GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object), which sounds
rather horrifying, but does apparently result in vastly improved
performance in OpenGL mode for ATI users under Wine and Cedega.

Now, I don't play WoW, I'm no programmer, and this may well be an
ATI-specific issue, but maybe the hack listed here will shed further
light on the DX9/WoW work currently needed/being done.

Just in case it's useful info that no one happened to see :) . If not,
please ignore and apologies for the interruption.

Holly