Add some autoconf warnings

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Fri Mar 18 08:44:10 CST 2005

On Fri, 18 Mar 2005, Alexandre Julliard wrote:

> Francois Gouget <fgouget at free.fr> writes:
>
>> I thought I had sent this patch months ago but apparently not. The
>> idea is to warn the user when some often used libraries are missing
>> and is based on the warnings issued for bad Mesa or X
>> configurations. Let me know if the range of checks should be expanded
>> or reduced or otherwise tweaked.
>
> We've discussed this before, I don't think we should warn about these
> things, it's perfectly harmless in most cases and will just alarm
> users for no good reason.

Ok. My recollection was that we should not indiscriminately warn about
missing libraries which is why I targeted just some of them. Ok, maybe
ICU should not have been on the list (certainly Shachar would
disagree<g>), but a system that has a non-functional OSS or Alsa driver
probably won't have sound which I see as a significant limitation,
especially with all the gaming development we see these days.

Maybe a check that there is at least one functional sound system would
be ok?

if test "$ac_cv_c_opensoundsystem" = "no" -a -z "$ALSALIBS" -a \
         -z "$ARTSC_LIBS" -a -z "$NASLIBS" -a -z "$AUDIOIOLIBS"
then
     echo "*** No sound system was found. Windows applications will be silent."
fi

But I personally don't mind checking the configure log so I don't care
much one way or another.

           tcA thgirypoC muinelliM latigiD eht detaloiv tsuj evah uoY