registry TODO

Francois Gouget fgouget at free.fr
Tue Mar 22 03:48:24 CST 2005

On Tue, 22 Mar 2005, James Hawkins wrote:
[...]
> What needs to be done concerning this TODO?  Looking through Bugzilla
> I found bug #422:
>
> "Currently Wine loads the complete registry into memory at startup. This is
> relatively ok when the registry is small such as in fake_windows configurations,
> but when importing the registry fro a Windows partition this can result in the
> wineserver allocating more than 30MB. This slows down startup times very
> significantly and wastes memory even if most of it is going to be swapped out.

This bug far predates the recent events and relates to a completely
different issue. I would say this issue is still relevant although it's
probably not very urgent. Less urgent now since non-Windows registries
tend to be smaller.

      The software said it requires Win95 or better, so I installed Linux.