I think I know how uxtheme works...

Mike McCormack mike at codeweavers.com
Fri Mar 25 03:38:43 CST 2005

Jonathan Wilson wrote:
> What I am doing here is clean-room reverse engineering.

There's no reason that we need to expose ourselves to any legal risk at
all.   It may be your opinion that reading assembly code and describing
it is legal and safe, but I don't agree and I'm sure others who work on
Wine don't either.

The original IBM BIOS was clean room reverse engineered because there
was not enough documentation available for it.  We have MSDN, which is
not 100% complete, but is good enough for most purposes.  Other things
can be deduced from test programs.  Information that cannot be deduced
by a test program is irrelevant.

Reverse engineering does not help Wine.  Casual observers will assume
that Wine is the result of reverse engineering by disassembly, which is
incorrect and harmful.

Mike