[WINEALSA] multiple sound card support patch review needed

Ferenc Wagner wferi at tba.elte.hu
Fri Mar 25 04:02:46 CST 2005

Paul van Schayck <polleke at gmail.com> writes:

> On Tue, 22 Mar 2005 09:52:13 -0500, Robert Reif <reif at earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> What happens when you have two or more identical cards.
>> Should we also look for dmix in the device name?
>
> I think we should always look for hw:n

I doubt it.  First, ALSA have notion of the default device,
which Wine should respect.  On the other hand, using the
hw:n device relies on a hardware mixer for sharing the sound
card, which some widespread integrated cards don't have.  So
a lot of users would prefer using plughw:n (or another
dmixed device) instead.  The ALSA default can be set in
~/.asoundrc or by environmental variables, which is very
convenient.  Wine shouldn't behave differently unless
explicitly configured so.

> Doesn't ALSA have some kind of function to discover all devices?

Probably not at the moment (except for /proc/asound/cards
etc.)  It was discussed on the ALSA devel list recently, but
I don't remember the conclusions.
--
Feri.