DirectDraw YUV overlays

Adam D. Moss adam at gimp.org
Fri Mar 25 13:35:00 CST 2005

Lionel Ulmer wrote:
>>I would suggest using the Xv extensions again if possible.
>
> Yes, and it will provide hardware-based scaling for free too... I wonder if
> GL exports any YUV-like texture formats on modern hardware.

Not really. :(  There's an apple-specific extension for it.  On
the other hand, YUV->RGB conversion should be really
easy to write as a fragment program (either NV_texture_shader,
ARB_fragment_shader [GLSL], ARB_fragment_program,
NV_fragment_program) on any gf3-era card or later, which I'm
guessing is why not many implementors are rushing to standardise
YUV textures.

--Adam