redirecting text to standard out

Hans Leidekker hans at it.vu.nl
Fri Mar 25 15:01:07 CST 2005

On Friday 25 March 2005 16:14, Raphael Clifford wrote:

> I am running a windows app under wine that prints text to the screen.
> This can be copied and pasted into wine's notepad.  Is there any way to
> get wine to simply output all text written by the app to standard out?

I remember I did something like this to extract the word list
from a Dutch dictionary program:

 WINEDEBUG="trace+text" wine <app.exe> 2>&1

Because my program can't display all words at once and
because I didn't want to click the mouse button a hundred
thousand times I wrote a little program to do it.

I used xwininfo and xev to find the window id and
coordinates of the down arrow on the scroll bar for the
word list. The program would then send X button press
and release events to this window in a loop.

 -Hans